Tuesday, April 10, 2012

State of The Redskins

  For the second of my state of the franchise articles I will be looking at the future of the Washington Redskins.


  Obviously they wield the number 2 overall pick which they are expected to use on Robert Griffin III. Their most pressing need (other than Quarterback) is Inside Linebacker. They need to find someone to play opposite of London Fletcher. What I would really like to see the Redskins do is trade back into the first round and draft Dont'a Hightower. I realize the chances of that happening are not very good but if it happened the Redskins would have arguably the best inside linebacker tandem in the NFL. If they try to trade into the 2nd round or wait until their 3rd round pick then they could look at Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David, both of which could potentially fall that far. I think Wagner is a 1st round talent but since he is from a smaller school (Utah State) and missed the combine with Pneumonia he could slip into the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round.


  The next most pressing need they have is either strong safety or wide receiver. Now, I have looked through the draft and aside from early round picks like Mark Barron I do not see that many good safeties. However, this class is deep at wide receiver. They could look at a guy like Junior Hemmingway in the 4th or 5th round. Other potential sleepers at receiver would be Devon Wylie or Reuben Randle of LSU.


  If it wasn't for my belief that Mike Shanahan could turn anybody into a 1,000 yard rusher I would say they should go for a speed back like LaMichael James or Chris Rainey. Either one of those guys would add an explosive playmaker to the offense in the same vein as Darren Sproles. After last year I think they should definitively add a speed receiver/ slot receiver because of the versatility it will allow. Both LaMichael and Rainey will be excellent special teams players as well.

  I know a lot of people seem to think that the Redskins need help on the offensive line. A lot of analysts say that their weakness was on the right side of the line and because of the loss of Jamaal Brown. They had an undrafted rookie free agent playing Right Tackle last year. Trust me, as a Saints fan I know how good Jamaal Brown is. They should add offensive lineman through free agency and sign a few veteran backups.



  As far as their outlook for next year, 9-7 at worst. I say the Redskins at least get a wild card berth next year. If the Giants start out slow like I think they will I could see the Redskins winning the division with RG3 under center.

1 comment:

  1. How about we draft a finalist for the Butkus Award, which goes to the top linebacker in college football? Oh wait we did...Perry Riley. He's way better than Rocky McIntosh who he got benched. We do need depth at ILB but it's NOT a
    "most pressing need" unless the Skins fail to re-sign Fletcher (which IS a most pressing need).

    ReplyDelete